Sony’s latest PlayStation console, PS5 is packed with innovative features and comes with the latest design. You can stream music from Spotify, immerse yourself in 3D audio, play the latest titles in 4K at 120FPS, and do numerous other fun things. However, a minor issue still plagues PlayStation consoles. Capability to join third-party headphones such as AirPods to the PS5. If you are wondering why that is, we will answer your questions and show you easy solutions that can help you connect your AirPods with PS5 or any other headphones.
Can You Connect AirPods to the PS5?
Connecting AirPods and PS5 is not difficult but some methods are better than others. I will list each method with detailed steps and I recommend you to use the mic in the controller for online chats during the game as none of the methods listed below will give you a better experience.
4 Steps To Connect AirPods to the PS5:
- By Using Remote Play App
- To Use Samsung Smart TV
- Connect AirPods to PS5 using the SmartThings app
- Use a Bluetooth Dongle
Step1: By Using Remote Play App:
This is one of the easiest ways to get audio through your AirPods without additional setup. You need to connect the Remote Play app on your iPhone to the PS5. After that, you can listen to the audio via AirPods.The Remote Play app is easy to use, requires minimal setup, and works via native Wi-Fi. When playing games using the Remote Play app, you need to connect the controller to the iPhone instead of the PS5. This may introduce some input logs because your input signal goes through the app first. Also, your iPhone must be on iOS 14.5 or newer or you need to use the PS4 controller. smartphone devices do not have this limit.
- Install the Play Play app remotely from the Play Store or App Store on your smartphone. Log in with your PS account.
- Launch Remote Play on the PS5, open the Settings app, and scroll down to System Settings. Find the remote play settings and turn on the switch next to Enable Remote Play.
- Link your PS5 to the Remote Play app by entering the code displayed on the TV screen connected to the PS5.
- Start the session in your smartphone app and connect the PS5 controller to the smartphone. You can now connect your AirPods or any other Bluetooth headphones to your smartphone and enjoy the game.
Step2: To Use Samsung Smart TV:
Samsung smart TVs are very innovative and one of the features that can transmit your TV audio by connecting a wireless headphone using Bluetooth. If you have Samsung TVs and wireless headphones other than AirPods, this method works attractively. During my testing, AirPods not only worked with the TV but there was also a simple solution for it. If you want to connect AirPods with PS5 using Samsung TV read the next method. Unlike the remote play app, you only connect the AirPods to your Samsung TV, and your controller is connected to the original PS5, thus reducing the input log in your gameplay. This method only works if you have Samsung Smart TV and Bluetooth headphones.
- Use the Samsung TV remote and navigate to Settings> Sound Output>Sound> Speaker List> Bluetooth Device> Pair and Connect.
- Put your headphones in pairing mode and use the remote to authenticate the connection and connect the Bluetooth headphones. That way, you can start playing games and the audio will be redirected from the TV to your Bluetooth headphones.
Step3: Connect AirPods to PS5 using the SmartThings app:
If you want to connect PS5 with AirPods and have a Samsung Smart TV, you also require a Samsung Android device. The Samsung SmartThings app allows you to redirect audio from TV to smartphone, and then you can connect your AirPods with the smartphone to get audio from PS5 on AirPods. This is a seamless process if you have all the equipment. Using this method introduces a lot of audio delays as the audio is first redirected to the TV and then to the smartphone and then to the AirPods.
- Install the SmartThings app on your Samsung smartphone and log in with your Samsung account. If you do not have one, you can create a new account.
- Make sure your TV and smartphone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Launch the app and add your TV by pressing the + button on the top left.
- Tap the TV tile and go to Options by selecting the Options button in the top right and selecting Play TV Sound on the phone.
- Now, the audio from the TV is transmitted to the smartphone and you can connect your AirPods to the Samsung smartphone and play games on the PS5.
Step4: Use a Bluetooth Dongle:
Bluetooth dongles like Avant-Garde Leaf allow you to connect Bluetooth headphones to devices that do not have built-in Bluetooth hardware. I used it in the past to connect the PS4 with AirPods and it runs like butter. Using a Bluetooth dongle can go a long way in transmitting your audio from the PS5 to the AirPod. It gives you a very small amount of audio delay and the experience is great. You will not be able to use the 3D audio feature with this setup and AirPods Mike will not work with the PS5.
- Connect the AvanTree dongle to the front PS5 USB port. Press the attach button on the dongle until a white light flashes.
- Bring the AirPods near the dongle and place them in attachment mode by holding down the button on the case.
- Dongle and AirPods are connected to each other. Now you can start playing your favorite games and enjoy audio on AirPods.
The great PS5 still has a lot of flaws due to the lack of Bluetooth audio support. Here are some different methods you can use to connect AirPods to the PS5. You can learn how to connect AirPods to ps5 and start enjoying games and audio using AirPods.