The burgeoning growth in digitalization of businesses has resulted in the need to have digital marketing professionals who are qualified and experienced to handle the art and business of digital marketing.
Who is a digital marketer?
A digital marketer is one who is in possession of the knowledge and skills required to make the most of the tremendous power of the internet to create successful email marketing campaigns, web pages, community blogs, social media postings, and many more.
The basic aim of a digital marketer is to effectively connect with internet-savvy customers. That is why, in recent times, the demand for talented digital marketing professionals has increased by leaps and bounds.
A number of niche jobs are included in the domain of a typical career in digital marketing. It encompasses but is not just confined to the following basic positions.
- Analytics Manager
- Content Manager
- Content Marketing Manager
- CRM Manager
- Digital Account Manager
- Digital Director / Head of Digital
- Digital Integrated Copywriter
- Digital Marketing Manager or Web Manager
- Digital Sales Director
- Ecommerce Manager
- Email Marketer
- Marketing Director
- Marketing Executive
- Marketing Manager
- PPC Search Manager
- Search Manager
- Social Media Community Manager
- Social Media Manager
- Web Designer
- Web Developer
Purpose of a career in Digital Marketing
A thriving, well-heeled digital marketer is one gifted with a broad-based range of skills. These skills are needed to establish a connection with customers who are inclined to know about products and services in-depth.
Digital marketers are nurtured to put a strong, favorable influence on customers. The eventual goal of digital marketing lies in amplifying sales and boosting customer conversions in the most efficient fashion
With a view to having a worthwhile digital marketing career, it is imperative to gain mastery of the below-mentioned skills by leveraging reputed digital market courses.
- Inbound marketing – To have the ability in one’s possession to exploit the potentials of inbound marketing and generate fresh leads
- Flexibility – To be competent in changing what is unfeasible for making progress in project goals
- Compelling organizational skills – To gain the expertise of handling the aspect of several different campaigns at the same time
- Extensive sales experience – To have direct involvement or intervention with the sales department and pick up its inherent knowledge base and expertise. This is because digital marketing necessitates the ability to comprehend and predict fluctuations in sales trends
- Landing page design – To be able to fabricate great, aesthetically pleasing landing pages for websites
- WordPress knowledge – To have preliminary knowledge of how to manage several content writing platforms, for example, WordPress
- Robust social media interaction skills – To have proficiency in creating effective, sensational social media posts with a view to amplifying product or brand prominence by means of posts that can be shared in huge numbers among the users on social media
- Knowledge of analytics – To be familiar with the working of mainstream digital marketing analytics tool
- Content management – To be in a position to identify and recreate subpar quality content with the aim to increase brand exposure and heighten customer interaction
- Knowledge of HTML – To be qualified in making effective use of HTML for the purpose of creating visually appealing content and subheadings
- SEO experience – To own an in-depth understanding of SEO basics that are crucial to improving the ranking of websites in major SERPs, higher ranks imply more people will click on those websites and engage more with them thereby increasing their inbound organic traffic and the propensity of conversions
- Good understanding of advertising platforms – To be fit to maximally utilize powerful advertising platforms like Google AdWords and create eye-catching, money-making ads
Is digital marketing a good career choice?
A career in digital marketing is a decent and rewarding move for anyone who:
- Has plenty of creative acumen
- Has a penchant for solving problems
- Has a soft spot for writing
- Likes to be analytical
- Derives satisfaction by conducting digital research
- Finds pleasure helping people come out with workable solutions
- Enjoys a sociable personality
- Makes strides in a speedy work environment
- Gets a thrill out of taking challenges
- Likes to be an objective thinker
The essential qualities required to shine in a digital marketing career
If truth be told, and if we look at things around us, digital marketing offers a rapidly advancing career path. With time, this stream of expertise has evolved significantly. With more communication channels becoming available, the need to have more qualified people who can make progress with demand also swells.
A person who is most suitable to flourish as a digital marketing professional should be in possession of certain unique traits. These include the following.
- The person should have passion and inherent curiosity to acquire knowledge and bring forth useful ideas.
- The person should have the ingenuity to think out-of-the-box and put forward novel, exciting ways of reaching out to prospects and new customers.
- The person wanting to make a mark in a career in digital marketing should have sufficient patience to try out unfamiliar ideas and processes through trial-and-error methods.
- The person should be in ownership of a certain degree of decency and professionalism while carrying out interaction with customers.
- The person should have powerful listening skills so that they can comprehend customer requirements through buying behaviors, testimonials, and feedback.
- The person should be able to set achievable goals both for the short and long term and strive towards realizing them in pre-fixed timeframes.
- The person should possess a social, amiable personality and at the same time be aggressive and assertive while dealing with clients.
- The person should own remarkable intuitive skills to grasp ever-changing customer needs and make efforts to consistently deliver them with success.
Typical positions one can hold in a digital marketing career
A digital marketing career is highly lucrative and continuously making impressive headway. Digital marketing professionals can be classified into a number of generic levels in terms of job responsibilities and annual compensation.
Digital Marketing Manager
The individual should have expertise in managing different online marketing functions such as PPC, SEO, SEM, and content and email marketing. A PG in Digital Marketing will help you understand in detail the various marketing functions.
The average salary is INR 8, 00,000. The salary ranges from INR 4, 00,000 to INR 18, 00,000. The candidate must have experience of 4 to 8 years.
Pay Per Click Analyst
The individual occasionally referred to as a PPC Executive, or an SEM Analyst must be thoroughly knowledgeable in advertising campaign creation, besides properly understanding consumer psychology behind ad clicks.
The average salary is roughly INR 2, 50,000 at entry-level or with candidates having a minimum of 1 year of experience. With the growth inexperience, the salary can increase to a maximum of INR 6, 00,000.
The individual needs to have considerable experience in SEO, and defining and implementing SEO strategies. Also, the expertise to handle various SEO tools such as Google Analytics, SEMrush, Search Console, and many more is a must-have.
The average salary of an SEO executive with 1 to 2 years of experience is approximately INR 2, 20,000. But with an increase in experience and gaining exposure, an SEO specialist can earn as high as INR 8, 00,000.
Social Media Marketing Executive/Specialist/Manager
The individual mainly interacts with social media and helps build a strong, indomitable brand presence there.
The average salary of an SMM executive with 0 to 3 years of experience ranges anything between INR1, 50,000 and INR 3, 50,000. The maximum salary usually drawn by an SMM executive is roughly INR 5, 00,000.
The average salary of an SMM manager is about INR 5, 60,000. The highest an individual can earn in this position is close to INR 10, 00,000.
Content Marketing Executive/Manager
Content includes the whole lot as follows:
- Blog posts
- Email newsletters
To monitor the performance of this variety of content, the need to hire a content executive, specialist or manager is all-important.
The average salary of a Content Marketing Executive with 0 to 3 years of experience ranges anything between INR2, 00,000 and INR 4, 00,000. The maximum salary usually drawn by a content executive is roughly INR 5, 00,000.
The average salary of a Content Marketing Manager is about INR 6, 50,000. The highest an individual can earn in this position is close to INR 10, 00,000.
The average salary of a Content Marketing Head with more than 8 years of experience varies anything between INR 10, 00,000 and INR 20, 00,000.
As the clamor around businesses in the digital sphere keeps rising and competition becomes fiercer, the demand for experienced and highly competent digital marketing professionals will continue to soar to greater heights. So, digital marketing is an excellent career choice for someone who wants to contribute skills and know-how along the bleeding edge of this rapidly advancing technological revolution.