Developing a custom application for iOS is not just a whim for a business these days but a thoughtful and calculated step to boost revenue and brand recognition. Let’s discuss why businesses are eager to create applications primarily for iOS devices, how an iOS developer can help the business to achieve its goals, and what skills a well-vetted iOS expert should have to be able to be of real help for the company.
Why Businesses Pick iOS Development over Android?
To begin with, an iOS developer is a programmer who can create new applications, games, or interfaces for Apple devices. And while the debate on which platform is better, iOS or Android, will last forever on the web, iOS users do not mind the fuss and are busy spending 2.5 times more money on apps compared to Android users.
According to the SensorTower report, in the first half of 2021, Apple’s App Store generated $41.5B in consumer spending worldwide, showing 22.1% growth compared to the same period of 2020. This includes premium apps and subscriptions, games, and in-app purchases.
At the same time, Google Play gained approximately $23.4B in the same period. If compare, App Store generated about 1.8 times the revenue made by Google Play.
Apple devices are always positioned as tools for wealthy people. Therefore, by developing applications and targeting iOS users, a business is more likely to secure profits and can be more confident in the solvency of its customers. By hiring an iOS developer to build a custom app for the company, an organization gains an opportunity to attract a cash-rich audience of buyers, optimize and scale the business up, and stand out against competitors.
By targeting Apple device owners, a company can also save on the app development, because there are not that many iOS devices and versions to optimize software for, compared to the variety of Android devices. While with an Android app, a business can reach more users, the development cost may result higher than expected because of the optimization needed.
iOS development is an important asset for businesses that aim to offer goods in an online store, encourage in-app purchases, and target higher-income customers. On the other hand, the advantages of applications for Apple customers include great security, excellent user experience, and flawless performance, which will establish a strong brand reputation of the business.
Skillset of an Experienced iOS Developer in a Nutshell
When it comes to app development, different operating systems require somehow different approaches and different programming language knowledge. For iOS, the most commonly used are Swift and Objective-C.
In addition to knowing these programming languages, a well-qualified programmer should have the following technical skills:
- Hands-on knowledge of common iOS libraries, architecture, and design patterns;
- Knowledge of C++/Java;
- Knowledge of scripting programming languages (Ruby, Python);
- Experience with Cocoa / Xcode development environment;
- Experience developing and supporting iOS applications of different complexity.
Also, the expert should possess such non-technical skills:
- Knowledgeable about the App Store policy, development and stylistic design guides, and application release rules;
- Ability to keep one’s finger on the pulse of constant updates;
- Be a lifetime learner and eager to improve;
- Have a good eye for detail.
How Can Business Benefit From Hiring an iOS App Developer?
Nowadays, almost any business, from a startup to a large corporation, wants to have an application to promote its products or services. If the target audience predominantly uses Apple products, it is worth giving preference to iOS development. The potential benefits of building an iOS app include:
- Large and steady customer base. One of the important benefits of developing an iOS app is that you get a solid customer base who associate iOS products with the latest technology and utmost quality. Therefore, there are low risks that an iOS user will switch to Android, and you’ll lose clientele.
- Quick access to innovation. Apple is always more open to the introduction of new technologies, which means that the business has more opportunities for building a high-end application, promoting it, and meet the needs and preferences of users. With an application for Apple device users, a business can have an edge over its competitors.
- Saves time and money. When it comes to sales, time is money indeed. And nothing can beat the pleasant opportunity to save money on these two things. Since iOS apps are more unified and have fewer device versions to optimize the software for, iOS developer beta testing is less resource- and time-consuming than for Android apps. Thus, businesses can spare a great deal of time and money on adaptation and testing.
What Are iOS Developer Salary Rates Worldwide?
The range of iOS development services is quite broad, thus, the cost to hire iOS developer will highly depend on the expert’s qualifications and experience, as well as on the needs of the company.
If you need to build only one project, finding a freelance iOS developer can be the most suitable option. On the other hand, if you plan to build several iOS applications, a complex solution for both internal and external needs, or want to provide iOS development services to other businesses in the future, hire iOS developer full-time.
Although there’s a considerable number of iOS programmers available on the market, finding a skilled expert with relevant experience and affordable rates in your area can be a daunting task. Let’s take a look at the annual salary rates for iOS experts of the same level of knowledge and expertise in different countries:
As you can see, there are higher chances of recruiting a top-tier iOS expert by enlarging the potential pool of developers and considering hiring a dedicated programmer remotely.
No matter if your business is a startup or a large-scale corporation, having an app can help you attract new clients, enhance user experience, and turn users into loyal customers and brand advocates. If you want to provide your customers with a convenient option to reach you and purchase your goods and services, leaving competitors behind at the same time, hiring an iOS developer to build a custom solution for your business can help you turn the goals into reality.