No doubt, worthy content is a must for website prosperity from scratch and to reach a high SERPs ranking. Still, this all is vain and inefficient without profound technical SEO optimization.
It means only by arming with a solid technical SEO audit your business site will reach the relevant audience and achieve your specific end goals consequently. So, producing the hottest content is nothing if the appropriate audience can’t get on the site.
We created a detailed guide where each technical SEO tip forms an integral part of the thriving business website with the best-ranking scales on the SERPs. Let’s look up in-depth the following technical SEO optimization best practices.
1. Website Crawling
Apart from such crucial technical SEO factors as web page speed, mobile-friendliness, and correctly optimized content, there are no less essential points within the audit process. They involve server and pages optimization and crawling-related issues, where the last head of the list.
What is the essence of crawling the website? First, it gives you a clear vision of damaged links, headings issues, poor keywords, and images. Crawling also deals with detecting duplicate content, unlinked web pages, and excess redirects.
Moreover, you may look up your crawling budget on Google Search Control (GSC). This budget stands for a certain URLs number crawling via Googlebot with no impact on your site ranks. Breaking the advisable limit, you risk losing chances of top ranking.
So, apply the below-mentioned steps to make your business site crawling the most efficient measure ever:
- Duplicate Content Elimination. Use GSC to find repeated pages or implement some other useful tools to identify pages with identical meta and title descriptions. Then remove such webpages or block them from crawling by Google bots. The most popular and efficient tool to do it is WordPress.
- URL Parameters Detailing. The issue is that Google can make twofold crawling for the same page considering it two separate ones due to poor and undetailed URL parameters. Thus take care of URLs uniqueness for both similar web pages simultaneously to save the crawling budget.
- Relevant Redirects Providing. Work on decreasing the 301 or 302 redirects quantity since redirecting these links to the homepage isn’t available. Your crawl budget and user experience can suffer from it.
2. Sitemap Analysis
Actually, the sitemap is the core of the business site as it informs a search engine about the overall site framework. Therefore, on page technical SEO audit can’t do without profound sitemap checking. And this is not surprising, as the more plain and clear it is, the quicker it goes through indexation.
The sitemap should be easy to consume and contain no more than 50 000 URLs. Otherwise, Google just won’t make it crawling. So, after passing the sitemap review with flying colors don’t forget to index it on Google Search Console.
3. Core Web Vitals Testing
Everything connected with the website speed, stability, and interactivity assessment is under core web vitals jurisdiction. That’s why they are decisive within the site ranking. There are three significant vitals: Largest Contentful Paint measuring the site loading time, Cumulative Layout Shift measuring the site visual stability, and First Input Delay measuring the site interactivity. So, if you want to boost these vitals, follow the list below.
- Check your ‘lazy loadings’ activation to optimize images appearing on the site and minimize their time loading.
- Compress images to reduce the size of the page and uploading time.
- Apply a caching plugin to decrease time on a new link opening.
- Think through the ads placement before the layout design to reduce its shifting during page loading.
Many valuable sites provide a technical SEO audit in general and core web vital improvement in particular. Try Splat JS SEO auditing tools and your business site will be a roaring success.
4. Internal Linking Review
Linking-related processes are doubtless the most weighty on page technical SEO issues impacting the whole website framework. So, if you wish to take top search engine positions, you should attentively trace for web pages’ internal linking and exclude all unrelated or poor links. Performing this check, consider such things:
Clicking depth. It shows the number of clicks separating a certain page from a primary page. Try to maintain these figures as low as possible, preferably no more than three clicks.
- Broken links. They may create website users’ great confusion, thus severely affecting the traffic and SERPs ranks. Use WebSite Auditor Internal Resources sector and sort links by HTTP to find broken ones.
5. Browseable Website Version Check
Browsability certainly belongs to the technical SEO basics. In case your site has numerous versions, it can perplex search engines and crawlers. For that reason, people won’t find the site due to its non-displaying on SERPs.
It may happen when desktop and mobile versions compete with repeated versions of HTTP and HTTPS. That way, ensure only one site option is accessible and bring your SERPs ranks to the top.