- 1 How to Choose the Perfect Domain Name For Your Site
- 1.1 1. Go for the .com extension
- 1.2 2. Keep it unique and brandable
- 1.3 3. Keep it short
- 1.4 4. Your domain should not use the definite article
- 1.5 4. Do the Research – Check Trademarks, Copyright and Domain History
- 1.6 5. Relevant to what you do
- 1.7 6. Don’t fall for trends – Your domain should be future-proof
- 1.8 8. Buy the Common Misspellings of Your Domain
- 1.9 Final Words on Brandable Domains
Choosing the right domain name is one of the most important things you will need to do when starting a new website. Your domain name is your identity on the web. This is not only the destination where your visitors will find you and your content but the domain you choose also makes an impact on your search visibility. So, today we are here to tell you How to choose an original and catchy name for your site so that you can compete globally.
How to Choose the Perfect Domain Name For Your Site
It is very important to have a unique and memorable identity. And for this reason, only domain name comes into the picture. Below are some tips you should follow for selecting a domain name that is smart and effective.
1. Go for the .com extension
There are a number of new domain name extensions that are available today from the original .com, .net and .org to niche extensions like .photography, .blog etc. But we will recommend you to go for .com extension only. A .com domain is still the most established and credible domain extension. Newer domain extensions can be untrustworthy.
2. Keep it unique and brandable
Choose a domain name for your website that can grab attention and interest of the visitors. There are many factors that make a name brandable:
- A brandable name has no specific meaning (eg, ‘Google’ is not a word).
- It should be unique.
- It should be catchy and memorable. (eg, ‘Uber’)
- It should be easy to pronounce.
- It should sound trustworthy.
3. Keep it short
It is better to have a domain name that is short and memorable. There are more chances of having typos with longer domain names, and you can lose out the traffic this way. So you should keep your domain name under 15 characters.
4. Your domain should not use the definite article
Avoid ‘the’, ‘at least’, ‘as’ etc. the first word in a domain. All this does is add length to your domain without adding value. e.g, Facebook.com is looking more cleaner than thefacebook.com.
4. Do the Research – Check Trademarks, Copyright and Domain History
Be very careful while registering a domain name, avoid choosing that domain name which is trademarked, copyrighted or being used by another company. People also registers a domain with different extensions to steal traffic. So, beware of cybersquatting as well.
5. Relevant to what you do
Choose a domain name that fits not just the industry, but also your product or service. You should pick something that defines what you do and what you love. It will give a good idea to users of what your business is all about.
6. Don’t fall for trends – Your domain should be future-proof
Just because something is trending now, it doesn’t mean it always will. Stay away from hyphens, numbers, filler words, symbols, abbreviations, doubled letters and misspellings. Keep it simple, focused and easy to remember. It is much better to choose a future-proof domain from the outset.
8. Buy the Common Misspellings of Your Domain
To protect your brand, you should purchase various domain extensions, as well as misspelled versions of your domain name. This prevents competitors from registering other versions and ensures your customers are directed to your website, even if they mistype it.
Besides above mentioned 8 tips for choosing the domain name, you can use domain selection tools like -Domain, DomainTyper, Namemesh, DomainsBot etc.
Final Words on Brandable Domains
Your domain is where you do business online. So take some time and choose the right domain for your business. If you are having some domain name ideas, then please share them in the comment section. In case of any type of questions related to chossing or buying the domain names leave a comment below, we will surely help you out.