- 1 How to Change IMEI Number of Android Phone
- 2 Change Android IMEI Number without Root
- 3 How to Change IMEI Number on Rooted Android Phone
- 3.1 #1: Change IMEI Number Using a USSD Code on Android
- 3.2 #2: Change IMEI Number Using Xposed and IMEI Changer APK
- 3.3 Disadvantages of Changing the IMEI Number on Rooted Android
- 3.4 Final Words on How To Change IMEI Number of Android Phone (Root & Unroot)
The International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) is a unique identification or a serial number that all Android phones have. But, some tech geek wants to change IMEI number permanently on iPhone and Android. But, changing the IMEI of any android device is not a nice idea because there are many advantages as well as disadvantages associated with it. Sometimes, it helps us to take some extra benefit from our device. So, if you want to change the IMEI number of Android Phone for any reason then this article is for you.
Disclaimer: We are writing this article just for educational purpose. We highly recommend not to misuse it. If you will do it, then you may face some legal proceedings.
How to Change IMEI Number of Android Phone
We will discuss in detail about IMEI number, reasons to change it, advantages/disadvantages of changing an IMEI number, and different methods to change IMEI Number of Android Phone. In this article, we are also covering how to change IMEI number with PC and here is a detailed guide to doing so.
What is an IMEI Number?
The International Mobile Equipment Identity or IMEI is a 15 digit number, usually unique to identify 3GPP and iDEN mobile phones, as well as some satellite phones. It is usually found printed inside the battery compartment of the phone, but can also be displayed on-screen on most phones by entering *#06# on the dial pad, or alongside other system information in the settings menu on smartphone operating systems. For eg, if you have Samsung j7 and you are looking to find out your IMEI number, please go to your phone’s main setting and then select About Phone. Here you will get your phone’s IMEI number.
IMEI Changer APK for Android & iPhone
Uses of the IMEI Number
- This number can help you to prevent your phone being used by someone else if the phone is lost and got by someone else, or stolen. The users can just call their network carrier and report that the device is stolen or lost. The carrier can block the specific device from running on their network and notify other carriers.
- The 15-digit IMEI number indicates the origin and model of the device. The first eight digits indicate the device’s origin and its model and the last six digits identify the manufacturer of the device.
- If you subscribe to a mobile tracking service, you can use the IMEI number to track the device even it uses a different SIM card.
Reasons and Advantages to change IMEI Number Permanently
- Make your Android untraceable/ unreachable.
- Fix any invalid IMEI-related issues such as lost or invalid IMEI numbers.
- Obtain a completely new device ID.
- Sometimes, your Android device model may not be able to get the newest OS updates because it is an older device. Changing the IMEI number to a one that indicates it is a newer model you will be able to enjoy new OS updates by resetting, repairing and updating your Android device.
- To subscribe to a cheaper mobile plan.
Change Android IMEI Number without Root
#1: Change IMEI Number of MTK Device using Mobile Uncle App
The app is a simple Android application that is able to retrieve your Android device’s information, backup IMEI, change its IMEI and search for your device’s recovery files. It will also be able to assist you with any rebooting needs and many more.
Step 1: Firstly download and install Mobile Uncle app and open it.
Step 2: Now, select Engineer >> Engineer Mode (MTK) option from the app.
Step 3: Now scroll down and find CDS Information option and click on it.
Step 4: Now click on Radio Information option, two options will appear on the screen called Phone 1 and Phone 2.
Step 5: Simply click on Phone 2 option from the list.
Step 6: Once you click on Phone 2, you will see another new option AT+.
Step 7: Now you need to replace AT+ to AT+(space)Your 15 Digit New IMEI Number.
Step 8: Finally, Select SEND AT COMMAND to save your settings.
Step 9: Restart your Android Device, and you will get your new IMEI for your android phone.
That’s it. After doing all the above steps, you will have a new IMEI number on MTK device.
How to Change IMEI Number on Rooted Android Phone
#1: Change IMEI Number Using a USSD Code on Android
This method is for the Rooted Android device. Just follow the below steps on your rooted phone to get a fresh IMEI number:
Step 1: Firstly type this – *#7465625# or *#*#3646633#*#* in your phone’s dialer.
Step 2: Click to Call pad or connectivity options.
Step 3: Find out CDS information and click on it.
Step 4: Now check for Radio information.
Step 5: If you have dual SIM in your mobile, then there will be two options IMEI_1 [SIM1] and IMEI_2 [SIM2], select the one which you want to change.
Step 6: Now change IMEI number as mentioned below,
AT +EGMR=1,7,”IMEI_1” and “AT +EGMR=1,10,”IMEI_2”
Step 7: Now, just replace IMEI1 or IMEI2 with your any your desired number and click on SEND.
That’s it. You are done now. This is the easiest way to change the IMEI number of your Rooted Android phone.
#2: Change IMEI Number Using Xposed and IMEI Changer APK
This method can work on all android versions, even on Marshmallow (6.0+) device also.
Requirements For Changing IMEI Number of Rooted Android Phone
- Rooted Android Device
- Xposed must be installed on your device.
- Download IMEI Number Changer APK (App Removed by Google) from Google Play Store.
- Internet Data Connection.
Steps To Change IMEI Number With Xposed & APK
Step 1: Firstly copy original IMEI number of your device somewhere for future reference.
Step 2: Now open Xposed installer application on your mobile and go to modules and Tick mark on IMEI Changer app.
Step 3: Now, restart your device.
Step 4: After restarting your android mobile, open IMEI Changer. You will get your original IMEI number & Current IMEI number.
Step 5: Now change your IMEI Number from New IMEI number option and click on Apply.
Step 6: It will show your New IMEI number in Current IMEI number box.
Step 7: Now reboot your device and check your IMEI number again by dialing *#6#.
That’s it. Your IMEI number is successfully changed.
Disadvantages of Changing the IMEI Number on Rooted Android
- It is generally illegal to change the IMEI number of your phone, but that depends on which country are you.
- if you replace your IMEI number with another one already in use, the result you will get is that your phone will stop working.
- Changing the numbers could damage your device in the process as it is hardcoded in your phone during development.
Final Words on How To Change IMEI Number of Android Phone (Root & Unroot)
So, guys, these are the methods which have been tested and working fine. You can opt any one of these methods depending on the choice that whether you want to root your Android device or not. Let me tell you that changing IMEI is illegal so don’t misuse the information provided here. In case of any kind of confusion or suggestions please leave a comment below.